By Phillip Nagler
First dates elicit a lot of emotions. Personally, the overwhelming emotion that I experience on a first date is fear. In situations where I am extremely nervous or stressed out, my stomach will start to constrict and cause me pain. As much as I am a coffee person and love a good caramel latte, coffee does a bit of a number on my stomach, and that is too much to handle on top of first date nerves. Perhaps a lot of you reading this don’t like coffee or have similar issues with grabbing a coffee on the first date. Luckily, I have compiled a list of alternatives that help you kick aside this all too classic idea.
1. Going on a hike or nature walk – Eating or drinking on a first date can be stressful. You are constantly overthinking how to pick up your fork or are nervous that you may have just slurped your drink. Don’t deal with any of that! Go out on a nice sunny day, or even in the winter, and enjoy the fresh air. The best part about going on a walk is that it’s free! No need to worry about how you’re going to split the bill at the end of the date. Just make sure you come up with an efficient method of covering up those sweat stains.
2. Getting drinks – Alright, some of you may not be happy that my first suggestion involved exercise. I get it, exercising is so not a mood (wasn’t that so relatable?). Why don’t you switch up the drinks for the first date and trade in that venti cappuccino for some vodka cranberry? The key to alcohol on dates is to drink just enough to calm your nerves, but not too much that you won’t be able to have a coherent conversation. Now, there are some instances where getting plastered on a first date is appropriate. These include your date looking absolutely nothing like their Jswipe profile or when your date starts talking about their stamp collection. Now some of you might be saying: “Hey, I’m not even 21 yet, I can’t legally drink.” Well in that case, maybe you are a little too young to be dating.
3. The movies – Nothing screams rom-com more than going out to the theater and seeing some cushy movie. Granted that the whole time it is playing you will just be thinking about how you totally said something dumb and awkward at the beginning of the date and it is basically over (and you thought they were the one!). On the flip side, if the date isn’t going well or your friend set you up with a huge loser, you don’t have to talk to them for a solid 2 hours.
4. Dinner – Having dinner on a first date is a bit of a bold move, but why not be bold? This is your chance to show off that killer table etiquette you’ve been practicing all your life. At the same time, this is a perfect opportunity to see how your date eats. Just remember, if things work out, you’ll be watching them chew with an open mouth the rest of your life.
5. Brookdale lounge – I mean, everyone already thinks I’m on a date when I go there with a friend of the opposite gender. Why not just do it?
Dating is tough, nobody ever said it was going to be easy. However, with these ideas, nothing is stopping you from fulfilling your destiny. No caramel latte or iced macchiato can stand in your way. You’ve got this! Now go out there and meet your soulmate!