By Eliana Lindenberg
October is finally upon us. It’s the month of orange, pumpkin everything, and of course, Halloween. Everyone feels the excitement for the fall season and for Halloween at the end of the month. But how can we, as Jews, also enjoy this essentially month-long holiday? We at Perspective are here to help. So, here are 8 ways to enjoy the Halloween Season!
- Get a costume! Even if you aren’t going to dress up for the spooky holiday, now is a great time to grab something for Purim, which is only 155 days away. But who’s counting?
- If you aren’t feeling getting a costume for Purim, keep an eye out for popular Halloween costumes so you’ll have inspiration for Purim.
- One word — Candy. The candy sales this month are insane, so be sure to stock up on your favorite sweet snack.
- All of the pumpkin-flavored things! Starbucks is selling pumpkin spice lattes again, and there are even pumpkin flavored Oreos. If you love everything pumpkin, October is for you.
- Haunted houses are huge this time of year! There’s the Nightmare Machine (https://www.visitnightmaremachine.com/) in Brooklyn, self-described as a “new blend between haunted houses and social media pop ups.” If you’re looking for a traditional, top-rated experience, Philadelphia (a mere hour and 40 minute bus ride away) has one of the top haunted houses in the USA. Terror Behind the Walls (http://www.easternstate.org/halloween/node/3) is happening now at the famed Eastern State Penitentiary all month long!
- If you are lucky enough to have access to Netflix, there are some amazing additions for this month! Netflix is rolling out a lot of original content, so make sure to check those out!
- On that note, all of the top streaming services will be well-stocked with the best horror movies this month. Whether you’re more of a classic horror fan or into children’s horror movies (Coraline is terrifying, don’t try to convince me otherwise), this month will have lots of great movie options.
- To continue on the topic of movies and TV, there are going to be season-appropriate releases in theaters this month! Sony Pictures came out with Venom, along with horror and thrillers galore! Don’t forget the popcorn!